I love writing.
I care about how words are used, how messages are crafted and delivered.
I love helping clients conceive and create content that engages, educates, and motivates their audiences. I am “all in” on meeting my client’s needs, exceeding their expectations, and delivering content that reflects positively on them and helps them achieve their goals.
When my clients are happy, I’m happy.
who I am
Thomas Hanlon Communications is a full-service professional writing company that I founded in 2002. I have more than 25 years of professional writing experience – working for newspapers, magazines, and a publishing company (as a marketing director, curriculum developer, and writer) before opening my own business.
From there, I have continued to write books for authors and take on a variety of writing projects – annual reports, speeches, articles, columns, brochures, newsletters, and more – for corporations. One of the books I ghostwrote made the New York Times bestseller list.
I graduated from the University of Iowa with an English degree, and I live in Mahomet, Illinois, with my wife and two children. I enjoy running, hanging out with my family, reading, writing, and I am active in my church. My Christian faith is integral to who I am.
what I value
Projects are about more than just getting the work done. They are about meeting people’s needs and treating people appropriately. To that end, I relate to my clients with:
what I do
- I listen closely to my clients.
- I communicate clearly through all phases of the project.
- I help my clients clarify their message and achieve their goals.
- I am skilled at crafting the big picture – shaping a book or product – and at carrying out the fine details.
- I produce top quality copy that reflects positively on my clients.
- I guide authors through the publishing process as needed – informing them on publishing issues such as: self-publishing vs. traditional publishing, how to contact agents and publishers, how to create marketing and publicity plans for books, and more.
“Tom is simply a delight to work with, always respectful, always thoughtful, always responsive, and always willing to give extra effort. He has taken our initiative to a different level. I am so overjoyed that I met Tom and started working with him a few years ago. I think he has transformed our work.”
Madhu Viswanathan, Professor, College of Business, University of Illinois
“Tom is a team player. He approaches his work with professionalism and enthusiasm. He’s great to work with.”
Kathy Lubbers, President and CEO, Celebrity Leaders